The Langham HotelDownload PDF
450 kVA Volvo powered genset
Standby power for life safety systems
Primary Choice Factor
Design and build by YorPower
Introduction and Background
When the Langham Hotel in London required a new back-up power system to protect and upgrade the hotel’s key services in the event of a power outage the hotel’s consultants appointed YorPower to design and build the scheme.
YorPower were engaged to provide a full ‘turnkey’ service including:
- Decommissioning and removing the original equipment from roof level
- Designing new structural steelwork, mechanical and electrical works
- Manufacturing, designing and installing a 450kVA Volvo powered diesel generator with a purpose-built acoustic enclosure
- Installing digital controls to allow synchronisation and paralleling with the grid
- Commissioning and testing all works
- Providing service, maintenance and warranty support.
Logistics and Installation
Installation works were carried out on a Sunday, including road closures, to allow safe crane access.
Access to the existing plant room in the hotel was very difficult. The YorPower Installation Team had to dismantle the existing generator (engine, alternator and all ancillary equipment) and move it all, in pieces, out of the plant room and up a lift shaft to the roof for removal by crane.
The whole operation was then repeated in reverse with the new generator being lifted, again in parts, onto the roof, down the lift shaft and into the plant room before re-assembling and connecting it.
Sound attention was a major consideration on this project to ensure that guests did not suffer any noise intrusion when the generator automatically starts.
This was achieved through the use of special, bespoke, vibration damping mountings for the structural steelwork and particular attention to creating three silencer systems. YorPower is the proven specifiers choice for power solutions.